Permits and naturalization: I am of European nationality and wish to work in Switzerland for an indefinite period of time. What do I have to do?

Do you wish to work in Switzerland for an indefinite period of time as a European citizen? You don’t know how to do so? Don’t worry, Lawrence will tell you how to proceed!

Please note: Specific measures are in force for Croatian nationals. If this is the case for you, please inquire with the competent authority about the modalities. 

As a citizen of the European Union and/or the European Free Trade Association, you will not need a visa and benefit from the free movement agreement. 

The application for a work permit is made at the Foreigners’ Service, an office of the Population Service, in the Canton where you will be working.

If your contract is of indefinite duration, you will need to apply for a B permit, the permit for long-term residents. This document is issued upon presentation of a contract of indefinite duration and is valid for 5 years. It can be renewed if the contractual situation does not change.

The B permit allows a free choice of place of work and residence.


If you are a cross-border commuter, you can apply for a G permit, authorizing you to work in Switzerland for an indefinite period. The only condition is that you will have to return home at least once a week. 


Our team hopes that this article has provided you with some guidance and insight into what to do. 

Need help? Questions related to your personal situation? Lawrence answers all your questions and assists you in your legal steps!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.