Family LawMarriage

Family law: My boyfriend is a foreign national. If we get married, when and how will he become Swiss?

How can one acquire Swiss nationality through marriage? We explain everything in this article!

Swiss nationality is not acquired automatically after marriage. However, the union does give you the opportunity to apply for facilitated naturalization at the State Secretariat for Migration!

When a Swiss national is married to a foreign national, there are two cases:

  1. A) The couple resides in Switzerland.

Naturalization may be requested if :

  • The couple has been in a conjugal union (married) for 3 years;
  • The married couple has lived in Switzerland for a total of 5 years and the year preceding the application for naturalization.


  1. B) The couple resides abroad.

Naturalization may be applied for if :

  • The couple has been in a conjugal relationship for 6 years
  • The foreign national has a close link with Switzerland.

This link is defined by: knowledge of a national language, general culture (history, geography, politics, etc.) of the country, contact with Swiss nationals, and the fact of having stayed in Switzerland 3 times in the last 5 years, at least every day per stay.


In addition, whether you are in situation A) or B), the individual applying for facilitated naturalization must :

  • Respect the security and order of the country;
  • Respect the Federal and Cantonal Constitution;
  • Not violate Switzerland’s internal and external security;
  • Participate in economic life or be in training;
  • Encourage and support the integration of family members in Switzerland.


We remind you that the facilitated naturalization procedure takes on average one and a half years as of the submission of the application.


Do you need additional information, advice or support when applying for naturalization? Lawrence answers all your questions and assists you in your legal steps!

Related posts
ChildrenDivorce and SeparationFamily Law

Divorce : Custody rights

DivorceDivorce and SeparationFamily Law

Divorce and / or separation ?

DivorceDivorce and SeparationFamily Law

Divorce by mutual consent, what are the steps?

Family LawMarriage

Family law: I'm getting married, which matrimonial property regime should I choose? 

Sign up for our Newsletter and
stay informed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *